Selective Laser Melting
Selective laser melting produces 3D printed metal by using powerful lasers to melt metal powders together.
eMachineShop offers 3D printing of metal materials whether you need a one off prototype or a large production order.
- FREE Shipping in the USA.
- 100% Quality Guaranteed.
What is Selective Laser Melting?
Selective laser melting (SLM) is an additive 3D printing process that uses a high power laser to melt metal powders together for metal 3D printing applications. The laser sinters the metal powder together in layers, creating end products that are close to products manufactured via traditional machining processes.
This process takes place in a chamber where the metal powder is thinly spread in layers. As the laser fuses the powder, more powder is coated on the surface of the layer to be fused next. This process is repeated until the part is finished.
The end result will have a rough surface finish, so secondary processes may be necessary for the desired finish.
- Create complex shapes out of metals that would be near impossible using traditional manufacturing processes.
- Shorter lead times because tooling is not required.
- Many metal choices to choose from.
- Automotive Industry
- Aerospace ducts, fixtures, and more.
- Rapid Prototyping
- Medical Industry for complex, high-value pieces.