Dovetails are a common method of making two parts fit together that must slide linearly.
To make a dovetail:
- Draw a rectangle.
- Set Z to 1.
- Draw a smaller rectangle inside the first so that the left and right ends meet the ends of the outer rectangle.
- Set Z to -0.5.
- Choose Line | Machine | Side wall | 45.
- Choose View | 3D to verify the female part.
- Choose File | Save | DovetailFemale.
- Choose File | SaveAs | DovetailMale.
- For the inner rectangle set Z to 0.5.
- Choose View | 3D to verify the male part.
- Choose View | Right … add Comments To Machinist to flatten the sharp edge by ~.05" and, if desired, to not machine the short ends of the dovetail.
- Adjust the designs so that clearance between the two parts is more than the tolerance you select for the job.