The following example of a calculator-style enclosure illustrates some of the finer points of designing mating sheet metal parts.
The objective is to design a calculator-style enclosure of two parts that appear as shown below.
1. Draw top and bottom parts of the enclosure.
2. Choose Job | Model Bends.
3. Rotate and slide on screen to test fit.
4. Notice that neither drawing fits properly. Calculate the error by measuring with a temporary line.
5. Revise the design and try again. Delete the original bend model and choose Job | Model Bends again and test fit again.
The above fits properly.
The above fits with desired overhang.
6. Check alignment of screw holes by drawing temporary guide lines as shown below. Then rotate and/or move the guide lines to the opposing piece.
7. Check the fit of the flat view of the bottom to the side view of the top.
8. Zoom in to check corners.