Custom milled copper part
Copper is a soft reddish-orange metal. The name Copper is derived from Cuprum, the Roman name for Cyprian Metal. Copper is probably the first metal to be used by mankind. Copper shapes include sheet, rod, plate, hex, pipe and a variety of beams. Copper sheet is generally under 1/4 inch. Plate is generally above 1/4".
Copper has a number of useful properties:
- One of the best conductors of electricity after silver. Copper is more often used than silver due to its lower cost.
- Very good conductor of heat
- Easily shaped into any form when hammered, stamped, forged or pressed
- Resistant to rust and other corrosion - when copper is exposed to moist air containing carbon-dioxide, a protective greenish film known as Patina is formed. This film prevents the surface of the copper material from further corrosion.
eMachineShop allows you to design custom copper parts using: Bending ... Blanking ... Pressure Die Casting ... Counter boring ... Counter sinking ... Drawing ... Drilling ... Fine blanking ... Surface Grinding ... Honing ... Knurling ... Laser Cutting ... Milling ... Photochemical Milling ... Plasma Cutting ... Reaming ... Band sawing ... Shearing ... Threading & Tapping ... Turning (lathe) ... Waterjet Cutting ... Welding and Wire EDM.
Applications of Copper
Copper is one of the most useful metals.
- Electrical and Electronics: Copper is widely used in electrical and electronic industries including wire, electrical connectors, motors, generators, etc.
- Automotive: Copper is often used in the automotive industry for radiators, inter-coolers, heat exchangers etc.
- Construction: Copper is used for making roof tops, lighting fixtures, furniture, plumbing fixtures.
- Other applications: Additional uses include boilers, hand tools, cookware and decorative items.