How to Build a Shipping Crate
Use this calculator to build a custom crate in about 60 minutes.
- Get OSB or plywood for top and bottom, same or lighter masonite for sides, 1.5 x 1.5 wood strips, 1.5″ sheetrock or wood screws (sheetrock screws are easier to use without drilling holes first).
- Tools: electric screwdriver, saw
- Enter your values in the yellow cells and click Update. (Note that the contents-size is measured wall to wall on one dimension and between the inside vertical strips on the other dimension.)
- Saw wood per calculator.
- Space screws ~12 inches, always thru panels into strips:
- Moving strips in from edge by side panel thickness, screw Left & Right panels to 4 Vertical strips.
- Screw Front & Back panels onto vertical strips.
- Screw above 4-sided assembly to remaining 4 strips with strips on outside.
- Screw Base panel to strips.
- If you plan to use a pallet jack, screw Base to a pair of 2x4’s.
- Place contents, padding and invoice in box.
- Screw Top to four wood strip ends.
Please contact us with any suggestions or corrections.