EDM Cutting Service
Electrical discharge machining, also known as EDM, is a process that uses sparks to cut shapes out of a workpiece.
eMachineShop offers sinker and wire EDM solutions whether you need a single part, batch of prototypes, or a production order.
- 50+ Materials.
- FREE Shipping in the USA.
- 100% Quality Guaranteed.
- Can produce sharp inside corners
- Ideal for parts with thin walls
- Ideal for metals with low machinability
- No burring
- Material must be electrically conductive
- Typical surface finish will be between 16 and 64 microinches
- Kerf width typically ranges from 0.001″ to 0.012″
- Edges will be smooth but matte
What is a 2D Part?
2D parts are significantly more cost-effective to manufacture than 3D parts, so understanding what makes them different is essential.
An example of a 2D part is a sign as shown. This sign is considered 2D because it has no features on its sides and only has holes and cutouts.
Waterjets mainly cut sheet material into 2D parts using a high-pressure stream of water and abrasive. Waterjet cutting is suitable for most materials and yields clean edges.
Laser cutting is often used to produce 2D parts from sheet metal. A laser beam vaporizes a cut path to achieve the desired shape. Great for prototypes and short runs.
CNC Plasma Cutters use a high-velocity stream of ionized gas to cut parts out of sheet metal. Excellent for producing 2D parts when working with thick metal sheets.