Lost Wax Casting
Lost wax casting produces parts by making a mold of a 3D printed object, and utilizing the mold to cast parts.
eMachineShop offers 3D printed parts in a wide variety of materials whether you need a one off prototype or a large production order.
- FREE Shipping in the USA.
- 100% Quality Guaranteed.
What is Lost Wax Casting?
Lost wax casting (LWC), also called investment casting or precision casting, is a multi-step, intensive 3D printing process where a wax part is made via 3D printing and then used to make a casting mold. Metal is then melted and poured into the mold, melting the wax as the molten metal takes its shape to create metal parts.
This process is commonly used for small parts and jewelry using precious metals such as silver, gold and platinum. It is a highly technical method of manufacturing requiring extreme precision and process control.
Lost wax casting offers great design flexibility as a result of the casting method and can often result in lower costs due to less material being used compared to other manufacturing processes.
- Ability to create intricate parts with tight tolerances.
- Surface finish of the parts is smooth.
- Provides exact shapes leading to less material costs compared to other manufacturing processes.
- No custom tooling is required.
- Fashion accessories (buckles, brooches, etc.)
- Sculptures and scale models.
- Electrical components.
- Parts requiring the corrosion-resistant properties of precious metals.