- Economical for both short and long runs
- High dimensional tolerances are possible
- Smooth finishes can be achieved
- Avoid designing long, thin structures
- Consider specifying a desired surface roughness
- Bored holes become difficult when the ratio between depth and diameter is high
What is CNC Turning?
Turning is a process by which material is cut to create round shapes, typically using a CNC Lathe. The workpiece is placed inside the lathe and rotates while a cutter removes material until only the desired shape remains.
Turning is ideal for cylindrical parts and is primarily done using round rod material, but square and hexagonal bar stock can also be used.