CNC Turning Service
If you need online CNC turning we are one of the most capable and affordable sources and we can get the job done right. We stock a wide variety of materials, use state-of-the-art machines and diligently follow all design specifications. We continually strive to improve and optimize our processes and maximize customer convenience. Our customers range from inventors to businesses to government agencies. We are focused on quality and customer service.
How CNC turning works
CNC turning produces parts by "turning" rod material and feeding a cutting tool into the turning material. On a lathe the material to be cut rotates while a cutter is fed into the rotating workpiece. The cutter can be fed at a variety of angles and many tool shapes can be used.
CNC turning provides an economical way to make parts that are commonly symmetrical about an axis of revolution.
Shapes that can be made include a variety of plain, taper, contour, fillet and radius profiles plus threaded surfaces. Although many turned parts use a single axis of revolution, there can be multiple axiis to allow more flexibility (e.g. camshafts). This method of machining can be combined with CNC milling and other processes to make more diverse shapes. Examples of parts made include: Robot Parts, Shift knobs, Motorcycle Parts, Auto Parts, Toy Parts, Knobs, Pulleys, shafts, hubs, bushings, flywheels, etc.
Cost optimizations for turning include:
- Reducing complexity
- Minimizing the amount of material removed
- Avoiding difficult shapes such as very long thin structures.
- As the turning process applies pressure to the material, weak shapes that may flex can be difficult to machine, such as long thin structures.
- Turning generates a cut surface with fine helical feed marks resulting from the rotation of the part and movement of the cutter – consider specifying a desired surface roughness.
- Bored holes become difficult when the ratio of the depth to diameter is high.
How to Proceed
We can quote your job using conventional CAD files or you can use our unique free CAD software where you can: design your part quickly and easily, get instant pricing, and order online.